The roots of Jessop & Company Ltd. go back to 1788 when Breen & Company was founded in Calcutta. In 1820, Henry and George, sons of William Jessop acquired Breen & Company on behalf of Butterfly Company established in Derbyshire, England in 1790 by William Jessop. These two companies merged together to become Jessop & Company. Subsequently in 1973, the company was taken over by the Government and Jessop became a Govt. of India undertaking. In 1986, with the formation of Bharat Bhari Udyog Nigam Limited (BBUNL), a Public Sector Holding Company under administrative control of Deptt. of Heavy Industry, Ministry of Industry, Govt. of India, Jessop became a subsidiary of the Holding Company.